Osteopathy Approach for Jaw Pain – TMJ
During your lunch or when you yawn, you feel a discomfort on your jaw, a little ‘clock’ when you open or close your mouth ? And that will be pass ? But after few days is still here and it worst ? It’s maybe a Temporal Mandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome.
- Pain and tenderness on palpation in the muscles of mastication
- Pain and tenderness on palpation of the joint itself
- Limited range of mandibular movement
- Clicking and popping when you open/close your mouth
- Pain when yawning, chewing or biting
And this, even if your jaw is totally blocked. The goal is to work on the joint itself and mainly on your meniscus to relax and soften it. There is also a lot of work done on your skull.
Collaboration with others therapist can be helpful too. Your osteopath will be able to refer you to a specialist should there be further assistance required (for example GP or a dental/TMJ specialist).
How many sessions does it take ?
Your osteopath will be able to answer this question more precisely by having received you in consultation. Indeed the number of sessions in you will need will depend entirely on the condition of your jaw joint.